- Is this your full time job?
Yes. And I love it.
- Where are you based?
I live in Wollongong, but am about to move to Bowral. Most of my weddings are in Sydney and the Southern Highlands/South Coast.
- What gear do you use?
Currently I’m shooting with a Canon 1dx, 3 x Canon 5d mkiii bodies, and 8 x Canon prime lenses, plus some simple strobes for when it gets dark.
- Will you travel for our wedding?
Yes, yes, yes. As far as you like; nationally, and internationally.
- What’s the best month of the year to get married?
In my opinion, there are two periods of the year that are perfect for weddings: mid-late autumn, and mid-spring. Here’s why:
- It isn’t too hot or too cold
- The sun sets nice and early, so you can take advantage of that amazing late afternoon sunlight for photos (instead of watching the sun set from inside the reception)
Don’t stress if your wedding is in mid-summer or winter; all months are beautiful.
- How much experience do you have?
Around eight years; the first four I was shooting part-time while I was a lawyer, and the most recent four years I’ve been a full time professional wedding photographer.
- Do you have insurance?
Yes; $20 million public liability, and all my gear is insured too. I’m also a Canon Professional Services member, meaning if my gear breaks the guys in Sydney repair it and have it back to me within 72 hours.
- How many shots do you normally take at a wedding, and what will I receive afterwards?
Every wedding is different in this regard, but at the moment I’m providing my clients with around 700 edited, high-resolution shots from their wedding. You’ll receive these on USB in a lovely little box.
- How long after the wedding will I receive my photos?
My turnaround time is pretty quick; currently you’ll receive your photos around 4 weeks after your wedding.
- Can I print my photos? Do I have the rights to do whatever I want with them?
You can do whatever you like with the images I give you – while legally the copyright stays with me as the photographer, you can print until your heart is content without consulting me first. Each of my packages includes the high-resolution files on USB. I don’t watermark or otherwise alter my images either (I think it just looks ugly).
- When we book you, will it be you shooting our wedding or someone else?
Me. I never delegate to other photographers. You’ll deal with me the whole time, from the first email all the way to your wedding.
- Do you shoot with an assistant / second shooter?
I don’t use an assistant. I don’t use any complex lighting setups (just a few off-camera strobes sometimes) and certainly nothing I can’t set up on my own. I don’t need anyone to carry my bags and to be honest I’m large enough as it is; I don’t need someone else trailing me, making me stand out more than I already do
I don’t bring a second shooter by default but I’m happy to do so if you like. My wife is an awesome photographer so she can second shoot whenever required.
- Can you make us an album?
Sure can. I can show you some albums when we meet. Here’s an example of what I can make.
- We’re really awkward in front of the camera… we’re camera shy! Is that ok?
Of course My method of shooting is very relaxed and natural. Most of the time you either won’t know I’m taking photos, or you’ll be so engrossed in your new husband/wife that everything will seem natural. I won’t pose you; I’ll direct you.
- How much coverage do we need?
I think the sweet spot is around 9 hours; this way I can shoot you both getting ready right through to part-way through the reception. I don’t feel you need coverage until the end of the reception (things can get preeeeeetty messy).
- Tom, do you have many leather-bound books?
Yes, and my office smells of rich mahogany
- You’ll get hungry, taking all those photos at my wedding, I imagine. Want us to provide a meal for you?
How considerate of you! That would be lovely. I can camp out in another room to eat or you can put me on a table with your guests (I’m quite sociable and I love meeting new people). I’m also a vegetarian.
- My wedding is in [insert faraway land], and the only transport to and from is by plane and then camel. Are you willing to travel?
YES! I can’t stress this enough. I love to travel, and I am always keen to add foreign weddings to my portfolio. I’ll travel anywhere in the country, or the world, or the galaxy to photograph a wedding. Getting married on the moon? Sweet! Of course, extra fees, such as travel, accommodation, and oxygen mask may (and probably do) apply.
- Have you ever ridden a camel, Tom?
Actually, yes I have, in India. He was quite…. pungent. His name was Ahmed.
- Did you really go to India to shoot a wedding?
Yep. Pretty awesome hey. Oct / Nov 2011.
- We’d like to book you! What do we do now?
Hit me up at email@example.com so I can check my availability. Feel free to give me a call at any stage too.